Monday, February 16, 2015

LOVE is TIME



“Love one another; as I have loved you” (John 13:34). On this simple phrase hangs the success of every marriage and family. In the light of Christ’s love we see our family’s divine potential. We love them with all our heart, soul, and mind. And as we do, our ordinary family is transformed into an extraordinary one.  

Whenever I think about love and what that really entails, I am reminded of President Uchtdorf's conference talk, Of Things That Matter Most. He literally spells out what love is when he says, "in family relationships love is really spelled T.I.M.E". I will never forget that talk or hearing those words. The are burned in my mind forever.

I am constantly in a battle trying to do the laundry, cooking, cleaning, dishes, errands... It is exhausting! But we do it because we LOVE our family right?  As I throw in a load of laundry and shoo away my daughters so I can get more done. I think, "LOVE is really spelled time... " What a blessing the whispering of the Holy Ghost can be. Truth is, they will never remember how much laundry I folded and put away for them! So I take to the floor and play on their level with them, which is something they will remember. 
I mean really... Think about the last time you spent 30 minutes of undivided attention on someone you love. To carve out 30 minutes of a day as a mother where you do nothing but focus on your kids is MUCH harder than it sounds- no cooking, playing on the phone, laundry or mind wandering... but the blessings and relationships I have been so blessed to form with my daughters and the love we have each felt when I give all my attention and time to them is miraculous. You should try it!

Love in family life isn't always glitter and unicorns in fact, the greatest joys and the greatest sorrows we experience are in family relationships. The joys come from putting the welfare of others above our own. That is what love is. And the sorrow comes primarily from selfishness, which is the absence of love. When I feel really happy- that pure joy feeling I often ask Brian, "how I am so blessed to have you?". That kind of love comes from both of us caring more about each other than we do about ourselves. Everyday there are instances where either of us can choose to be selfish, but we often choose to love the other more and it makes all the difference. Let us not forget love is also spelled time for our spouse. They also deserve your undivided attention, sacrifice, and expressions of love. 

Take advantage of those minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or years you may have left in life and spend that TIME to show true LOVE. With this month of LOVE half over, I hope it comes to your mind often that LOVE is spelled TIME. 

XOXO- Alyssa

No comments: