Monday, February 11, 2013

Prayer

"Prayer is the provider of spiritual strength. It is the passport to peace.  Prayer is the means by which we approach our Father in Heaven, who loves us. Speak to Him in Prayer, and then listen for the answer.
Miracles are wrought through prayer." ~Thomas S. Monson

What a week it has been! I've learned even more about myself. I hope you have too. If you haven't started studying yet there's always time!

This week I asked you to think about why is holding you back from coming fully to Christ. What was filling your nets, and what do you get to shift in your life to help you leave it behind and follow after Christ?

One thing I mentioned being in my nets was knowing how amazing I am and being afraid of not living up to the responsibilities that go with that. As I've been pondering this some more throughout the week I've come to see that there is more than jut that in my nets. Another thing that is holding me back is pride. I want to accomplish a lot of things, but so often in my life I desire to do things by myself. Whether it is because I'm afraid others will let me down or because I want to show off to others how amazing I am, it all boils down to having lots of pride. When I choose to do things by myself and don't even ask my Heavenly Father for His help, I can still succeed many times, but I worry more and stress out more. This last seven months or so I've been learning to ask for help from others and especially my Heavenly Father. My job has been very stressful as I have had a student who has needed some...special attention to help him learn. I started out the year trying to prove that I could do it myself, and I ended up crying in the principal's office because I was stressed out and not getting anywhere with him. I got some assistance and now things run more smoothly and I'm working on getting this special friend the help that he needs. This little story has helped me draw a parallel to my life and asking my Father in Heaven for help. How many times in my life have I set out to do something that I 'knew' I could do by myself, only to end up on my knees crying to my Father for His help because I had tried moving a mountain with only a spoon to help me? I've definitely learned through this experience that he can take my spoon and turn it into a huge bulldozer that can more efficiently help move the mountain. He doesn't just move the mountain for me because I won't learn and grow that way, but He does give me a better tool, so I can have the strength I need to get through the learning experience.

Where does letting go of our pride and getting help from our Father in Heaven start? With prayer! Prayer is an amazing thing. It is a way to communicate with our Heavenly Father. We speak and thank Him for our blessings, ask Him to help and bless others, and ask for help and strength in our trials. If we will take the time to be still and listen after our prayers He will teach us things we need to know. It doesn't always come at once and many times not in the way we expected, but it will come! I've most definitely learned the power of prayer! I'm sure later on my journey I'll learn even more about it! Please enjoy the video at the bottom of this post. I know that prayer is a powerful thing, and I know that as President Monson says miracles are wrought by prayer!

Luvz,
Meg:0)

What have you learned this week? I'd love to hear from you! Comment below or e-mail me at meg@soulfulbrilliance.com. Look forward to next week's challenge about people who have been lights on our lives!









No comments: