Friday, February 12, 2016

2016 Goal Setting: Part 1

Header_MakeItHappen

Hello dear friends! It feels like forever since I last wrote!  I'm excited to be here with all of you sharing and growing together! Today I'd like to start talking about goals and some of the steps I use to find the goals Heavenly Father wants me to work on. The steps I use come from Lara Casey Isaacson.  Click here to read her posts about goals.

My life has drastically changed in the last year.  I'm now a mommy, and it has been the craziest, hardest, most amazing thing I've ever had the privilege to do.  It has taught me so much.  Mostly that I'm incredibly inadequate all by myself. Luckily, I am not alone! I have an amazing husband and family and friends that help me along this marvelous journey of mommyhood. I also have my Savior, who makes up for all my inadequacies and weaknesses.

With everything I've learned and dreamed about, getting started on my goals for 2016 was fun! The one thing I love about Lara's goal setting steps is that she encourages you to make a mess and to be okay with changing your goals anytime.  They don't have to start on January 1st.  They can start whenever you want.  You can change them whenever you want.  The biggest thing is to take action.  If you just sit and stare at your paper, nothing will happen. But if you take action, even small steps, it adds up and you can slowly make progress and accomplish your goals!

The other thing I like about Lara's goal setting steps is the prep work before you actually write your goals.  It is a chance to get down and dirty with yourself and what you really want to make happen.  I've tried all sorts of goal writing steps, but these by far have been the best to help me!  Here we go!

Step 1
What have you been chasing?

I have felt like I'm chasing perfect.  I look and hear about other people and how their lives are with their new babies. I keep fighting the feeling that there must be something wrong with me if I'm not feeling like all those other moms do with their babies. So I try harder and feel like I'm failing miserably. Then there is my job as a teacher.  I'm at a new school this year, teaching new curriculum.  I'm trying so hard to get it right and "perfect" that when the kids don't get it, I feel like a failure. Basically my chasing perfect hasn't made me any more perfect.  If anything I've felt more imperfect than ever.

Step 2
How are you?

Even typing how I'm doing right now scares me...I want to start off by saying that I'm grateful for the growth I've experienced in the last year.  I love my little family so much.  I'm grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and all the peace and comfort I find in it.

On that note it has been really hard trying to figure out what steps I get to take next in my life. I can stay effortlessly in my comfort zone, or I can take those scary steps out into the unknown and grow.  Today I feel like I'd rather stay in my comfort zone!
Basically I feel like I can say please refer to step 1 above. Also, I'm wanting to work on bettering the relationships in my life, especially my marriage and my family relationships. I'd like to work on doing better to live a healthy life.  I'm feeling tired and sick a lot, and I know I have the tools to fix that.  I'm really looking forward to 2016 and all the new things I'm going to learn as I get to step out of my comfort zone.

Step 3
What worked in 2015?

Wow!  I have a huge list this year! Most of it revolves around L and all that has happened with her.
-I started off the year pregnant with L and so excited to meet her.
-I found a new job that fit with working part time this school year! It was a blessing that happened at just the right time.
-I had a mostly healthy pregnancy.
-I safely had L.  I had really high blood pressure, so my midwife decided I needed to have her three weeks early.  It was an amazing experience and scary at the same time. When she was finally born, she had some troubles with her breathing.
-I'm so thankful for the amazing nurses who took care of L in the NICU.  They are seriously angels!
-I recovered well after having L. With all the stories everyone was telling me I was expecting my recovery to be hard, but it ended up not being so bad.
-I'm a mom!
-L started sleeping through the night at three months old.
-Working part time.
-Finding babysitters sometimes stresses me out, but it's all worked out perfectly and I haven't had to get a sub and stay home (as much as I want to sometimes).
-L is healthy and growing.
-I have a small class this year.
-I'm thankful for Nicci the teacher I do the job share with.  She is amazing and did so much while I was on restricted activity and on my maternity leave.
-L is a happy baby.
-We have financially been blessed to have what we need plus a little extra.
-I have an amazing husband.  Friends, I am so blessed.  He works so hard to take care of us.
-I got to go to Time Out for Women in Layton.
-I got to know people in my ward better.
-I've enjoyed the bookclub I've been a part of.

What did I learn from what worked?
-I get to leg go and let God take care of it.
-Keeping commandments brings big BLESSINGS!
-Being a mama is amazing!
-I get to choose!
-Choose joy!
-Choose God!
-Choose love!

What am I grateful for?
-my handsome guy with the killer smile
-L
-my health
-grace
-powersheets
-God is good
-The Gospel
-forgiveness
-scriptures and word of the prophets

Now it's your turn!  What did you write down to answer these questions?
Luvz,
Meg

No comments: