Everyday I get to work and I open a new post for this blog. Just in case I happen to have any moments of inspiration throughout the day. Obviously it doesn't happen often, but every once in a while the words come. Today I don't really have many words, but I do want to remind you and myself of something important.
Sometimes life comes at us. Heavenly Father is piling on the learning experiences. Sometimes we question why everything seems to be happening to us. Sometimes we get overwhelmed by it all. Sometimes we stop believing in ourselves and go back to our old limiting beliefs. Sometimes we want to give up. Sometimes we think we've got it all figured out and something new pops in to challenge us. Sometimes we wonder if we're good enough. Sometimes we feel like a failure and don't want to even try because we aren't going to succeed anyway. Sometimes we pray and we pray and we pray, but we can't find any answers. We know we need something. We know eventually it will all be okay, but right now. Right now. Right now it feels so overwhelming and impossible and tiring.
Here are some things I've been working on recently that have helped me with my overwhelm:
- Turn complaining into prayers! A couple of weeks ago I was at Time Out for Women in Layton and the topic of complaining came up in the last couple of talks. I found it quite funny as I've been doing a lot of complaining lately. One of the speakers, Kris Belcher, said instead of just complaining we should add a few words before we start "Dear Heavenly Father." He loves us so much and knows what we are going through. He wants us to tell him all about it. He wants to listen! It's an amazing action step that can help change your perspective and you get the chance to talk to your Father!
- Count your blessings! Name them one by one. The Lord is blessing you and many times we don't see it until we are still and take a good look around. I'm so grateful to have an amazing family that supports me in all the crazy things I decide to do. I'm so grateful for a job where I can earn money and help other people learn and grow. I am very grateful to have myhandsomeguywiththekillersmile in my life. He shows me that he loves me even when I'm not at my best, and he supports and encourages me in everything I do. (Only 24 more days! Yay!)
- Study the Gospel! The scriptures and talks from General Authorities are amazing tools to use in finding peace and answers to prayers. When you are actively searching for peace and answers to prayers by studying the Gospel, you are showing Heavenly Father your willingness to find answers and peace.
- Go to the temple! Temples are a little piece of Heaven here on earth. I can't even tell you the peace and comfort I feel when I am able to spend time in the temple. Last week after having a really rough week, I finally had the chance to go to a session at the Logan Utah Temple. It was the first time in about six weeks that I had been. The me that walked in and the me that walked out felt like totally different people. I didn't receive any big revelations, but I did get to take a break from the world, from Satan pounding at me. I got to sit and be still. I got a break from everything that had seemed so overwhelming. It made all the difference! Even if you don't have a current temple recommend, you can still go enjoy the temple grounds. There have been many times when I haven't had the time to go inside to do some work, but I have had a few minutes to just go and sit and soak in the peace being on the grounds provided me. I know that as we work on consistently spending time at the temple, we will see a marked difference in our lives!
- Find ways to serve others! One amazing way to feel better is to find ways to serve others! Getting outside ourselves and helping others in their struggles is a perfect way to forget about the trying times in our lives! Not to mention the blessings we receive as we serve! Try it!
Whatever the learning experiences in your life may be, try some of these things. Also ask yourself what has helped you in the past. You've been through hard things before and come off conqueror! You can do it again with His help!
Remember that Heavenly Father has perfect faith in you and knows you will learn and grow in your trials. He knows that you need these experiences to become the person you came here to become. Remember that "Faith in God includes faith in His timing" (Neal A. Maxwell). You can do it!
P.S. Apparently I have more to say than I thought! LOL