Friday, March 14, 2014

From the Mouths of Kids: Fables in Action





Recently in my second grade classroom we have been reading and discussing fables.  In case you don't know fables are short stories that end with a moral that teaches a lesson.  One of my favorite fables is called The Stonecutter. It is about a stonecutter who sees a prince and wishes he was a prince because a prince was more powerful than a stonecutter.  A god hears the stonecutter's wish and turns him into a prince.  He's happy at first, but soon realizes that the sun is more powerful than a prince.  He wishes to be the sun.  His wish is granted.  The story continues on with the man wanting to always be something more powerful.  After the sun, it is clouds.  After clouds, a mountain.  When he becomes the mountain, the god can do no more for him.  He feels like he's the most powerful being in the world....at least until he feels something tapping on his side.  He finds a stonecutter chipping away at him.  He realizes too late that he was the most powerful being his authentic self.

When I asked my seven and eight year old students what lesson they got from that story, they had some pretty awesome answers.  Then I called on one last kiddo.  What she said was a powerful reminder to me.  It was definitely one of those tender mercies.  And who better to give me that message through than a child! She said, "Even when bad things happen, you should be grateful to be you and remember that you're still powerful."  I was blown away with her answer.  I loved being able to take that opportunity to have my students remind me of something I had forgotten.  It was also fun to talk to them about how they are powerful being themselves.

Sometimes in our lives, we have rough days or months or years, but we need to remember and never forget that we were created with special "powerful" gifts that are ours to use. When we can follow in our Savior's steps and grow closer to him, we will shine with the light of Christ and be able to identify and live in our SOULFUL BRILLIANCE! I know this to be true!  As I look back at the path I have taken in my life the last three years, I can see the evidence of this in my life.  At the beginning I was feeling lost and on a dark path of self destructive behaviors. Heavenly Father helped me find the help and tools I needed to learn of him and of my own powerful divine nature. He helped me learn to shift my limiting beliefs to empowering beliefs, which freed me to love myself and better love and serve others. I am so grateful for this gift of love! It has truly transformed my life! This week my heart is so full of gratitude for the little reminders the Lord sends me to remind me of my worth when I have momentarily forgotten. I am truly blessed!

I hope and pray that you too can find the truth about yourself and feel the unconditional love our Heavenly Father has for you.  He hears your prayers and will answer them!  It might not be right away, but he will answer them.  He loves you! 

Luvz,
Meg:0)

No comments: