Sunday, February 24, 2013

Lower Lights in Our Lives

I hope that this week has been as amazing for you all as it has been for me! I really enjoyed focusing on those who are lower lights in my life, and the characteristics that they have to make them so. I have been blessed with many people throughout my life, but for this post I would like to focus on my greatest example of a lower light.

One of my best friends, Mal, was the first person I thought of when reading Meg's post from Sunday. We have had the opportunity to start a friendship that has impacted me greatly in the last few months. When I first met Mal, I was the sailor looking for a way to the safety of the harbor. She has many characteristics that I would consider those of a lower light, but for sake of space and time I'm just going to focus on the top three that have impacted me the most.

The first characteristic is enduring. Life sometimes throws us hard times, but how we handle the hard times can be a strength to us and those around us. Mal is a good example to me of enduring well. We’ve had a rough trial over the last couple months, and it’s been hard. Mal has always taken things one step at a time, and believes that there is light at the end of the tunnel. There have been times in my life where I have not endured well and have wanted to give up. Mal’s example has helped to remind me that we are here for a purpose, and that things will always work out in the end if we are doing the things that are right.

The second is charity.  In the scriptures we learn that charity is the pure love of Christ. I like to think of it as unconditional love. Mal is a good example of giving this kind of love to those around her who are in need of it. I sometimes forget to have that kind of love for others around me, and save that kind of love for those who are important to me or that I am close to. While I’m not perfect at it, thanks to Mal I am learning to be okay with giving that kind of love to others that I may not know.

The last characteristic that I would like to talk about is that Mal is a seeker of light. Now there are two types of light here. There is natural light, like that from the sun, and knowledge. Something that I noticed early on in our friendship was that anytime a room started to get dark, Mal doesn't hesitate to turn on as many lights as she can to dissolve any and all darkness. I've noticed that people who do this, especially with natural light, tend to be happier and do better. What a great thing that can be. I think that knowledge can be a form of light also. Mal is so good about memorizing scriptures and quotes from good sources. It never ceases to amaze me, because I really wish that I could accomplish that. However, it is not a talent I was blessed with.

Hopefully this post will help to give you some ideas about what kinds of things to look for when recognizing the lower lights in your lives. You never know who is watching you, and the example that you can be. I hope that we can always strive to let our soulful brilliance shine through for all around us to see. Please be sure to share your thoughts and feelings on this weeks topics. We would love to hear from you ;)
Much love, B

No comments: